Wednesday, August 22, 2012

PreK-4 {aka "big boy school}

Today was big.  Huge.  I mean major as far as milestones go in life.  Griff started pre-k at the big school.  We have been talking this up and preparing him for this day.  He woke up and was ready for the challenge. Breakfast, dressed, pictures, and out the door by 7:30.  Good-bye lazy days of summer and hello new school year.  

The morning went off without a hitch.  Griff quickly ate a little breakfast and got dressed.  I could tell he was a little anxious.  The only hiccup of the morning was the tucking his shirt in his pants business.  Honestly I think this is probably the first time in his life that he actually tucked his shirt in.  I guess we aren't really tight tuck kind of folks.  He didn't like tucking it in and I can't say that I really blame him.  After we he got over that we grabbed backpacks (pak paks) and were out the door!     When I saw him all dressed in his uniform I got a little teary.  He just looked so big in those little clothes.  

How in the world is this baby child
already old enough for school?
Doesn't he look adorable in his
uniform?
Tight tuck and all!
Roman started nursery school
a few weeks ago, but I knew
he would want to take pics
just like his Be-Be.
Bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to learn!
What ever Mom...
This is how we really feel.  :)

My big boy giving MiMi a hug before heading out the door.
My first time waiting in the carpool line.
I will log many hours throughout the years in this line.
Once in the line I started to feel a  little anxious.
I was about to drop off my 4 year old child with strangers. 
The teacher getting him out of the car.
When the carpool line teacher helped Griff out of the car he was so brave.  He started walking as if he knew where to go.  She had to stop him to get out another child before walking them together.  It wasn't until she stopped him and he looked back that I saw his lip quivering.  Broke my heart.  

Here he is when he looked back.
He looks so small to me in this picture
compared to the BIG school.
Thank Goodness for Roman.  He didn't give me much time to be sad.  He did it for me.  He was crying in the backseat because he wanted to go to "big cool" too like Be-Be.

"I wanna go to big cool like Be-Be."
Next bus stop was Miss Deb's.
Roman's back pack is 1/2 the size of his body!
 I can honestly say that I thought about Griff the entire day.  I prayed for his first day to go smoothly.  I prayed that he would enjoy his day and will be excited to go back.  I prayed that he would make friends and be excited to learn.  For some reason my biggest fear was Griff in the lunch room.  The thought of my little child without me navigating his way through the line with a tray just made me sad.  I watched the clock and said extra prayers at 12:30- lunch time.  Just as I was praying I received a text from Griff's speech therapist.  Her text to me, " Just saw my little man!! He is doing awesome!!"  Ever receive an encouraging message that comes at the perfect time?  I have...

I kept myself busy today picking up the perfect 1st day of school gifts.  I couldn't wait for the boys to get home to see their goodies.  I just knew that they would love them!

FINALLY 2:55 arrived.  I may have been the 2nd person in line waiting for my guy.  I had such a feeling of joy when I saw him walk out of the building.  I barely recognized my big boy!  Once in the car the first thing that he told me was that he saw Ms. Leah.  (his speech therapist)  He then followed that with "Mommy got a great day!"  So now I was grinning from ear to ear!  He told me that he made new friends, played on the playground, and had bread and milk for lunch.  He then asked if we could talk later.  My energizer bunny looked BEAT.  Griff was totally worn out and needed a little time to decompress.
 
1st day of school gifts waiting for the boys.
Griff was SO excited about Spiderman and his Spiderman book.  When I asked him yesterday what he wanted to be when he grew up he answered me, "Spiderman Mommy."  Keep dreaming BIG my boy...


2 new books.
Spiderman and Pete the Cat rocking in my school shoes.
My boys ADORE Pete the Cat and this book is precious.

I rewrapped the book for Roman to open.
I heart that he is hugging his Batman.
Roman's gift-
Batman and Batman book
Griff's first homework assignment.
Teacher's names followed by "I learned something and drew
with a green color at school today."
I am so very proud of my big boy.  He was so brave and faced the day with a smile and positive attitude.  I am so happy that today was the first of MANY happy school days...

No comments:

Post a Comment