Saturday, August 11, 2012

Al-Dog... Smiling through the tears

We have been reminiscing our favorite stories about Uncle Al.  He led such a charmed life.  Remembering these good times makes it a little easier to work through the sadness.  

He was with me through several seasons of my life.  I got him from my parents as a Christmas present in 1997.  He was with me through times of heart break, sadness, joy, weekend road trips to Baton Rouge, several Mr. Wrongs, Mr. Right, hurricane Katrina, my wedding, many moves, and the birth of his 3 brothers.  Much like the commercial for Bush's baked beans.  He knew the family secrets and wasn't telling!  He knew me better than anyone else.  He was great to talk to.  He would just lay his head on my lap and listen as I cried many tears of both sadness and joy.  He was the greatest friend and companion.    

He has been such a part of our family for so long that today I still imagine the sound of his nail tapping as he walked through the house.  I also glance into his room expecting to see him every time I walk past the doorway.  I know it will get easier with time, but today the hurt is very real.

Enough tears for now.  Let's celebrate my pal Al.  The greatest dog in the world...


Alex as a puppy.
He was such a tough guy!

  • Over the years Alex went by many different names:  Al, Al-Dog, Cornbread, Sally, and Uncle Al.  


  • Here is a random thought that I think of often.  When I picked my puppy I picked a boy.  I wonder if God blessed me with all boys because when I had the chance to pick my "child" that is what I selected.  Weird?  Perhaps, but He does have a sense of humor!


  • I vividly remember when I was deciding to get a puppy I thought about how I would feel when he was no longer with me.  In my mind I figured I would have him for about 12 years.  I hoped that the 12 years of joy that he would bring would outweigh the sadness when it was time to tell him good-bye.  My boy exceeded my expectations on both the number of years that he was with me and also the amount of joy that he brought.


  • Al used to love to come out to my parents cabin with us.  That was his puppy heaven.  He would run for days.  We would open the door once we hit the drive way and let him run free and meet us at the cabin.  On 2 separate occasions Kenton tried to KILL him.  Well, not really but we still laugh about it.  Kenton was on the 4-wheeler with Al chasing him from behind.  Once they made it back to the cabin Alex passed out from heat exhaustion.  We did have to call the vet to figure out what to do.  Once we pick up Alex's ashes we will bring them out to the cabin and release his ashes into the woods.  This was his heaven on earth... 

  • Back in the day Alex was a total wild man.  On a few occasions he got out and roamed the streets through the night before returning home.  When he finally would return home he passed out for days.  Who in the world knows what that crazy dog was up to.  Until the end he never confess his whereabouts to me!  



  • Alex was such my dog.  He loved to costume with us.  He wore bandanas, party hats, football jerseys, and halloween costumes.  Not only did he wear it, but he wore it with a smile!  He loved to come to Mardi Gras parades with us.  Our house was just off the parade route.  On Mardi Gras day every year we would dress him up and take to the parades.  It was such fun!   



  • Alex has been a part of my relationship with Kenton from day one.  The other day Kenton said, "thank God for Uncle Al.  He gave me a paws up before you did!"  Alex adored Satch from the moment that he sniffed him.  They became fast friend and had such good times together.  Satch always took him out to the park to throw the ball and for walks every chance that he got.  They really did adore each other.  Al came with us to take our engagement pictures.  He was a total wild man that day at Audubon Park.  We always laugh at this picture because he looks nice and calm.  This was sooooo not the case!

  • One Saturday morning (long before our boys were born) Satch took Al to the park to play catch. I was at home sitting on the chair reading the newspaper.  All of a sudden I heard Satch yelling from down the street.  "Open the door, please Andrea OPEN the door."  Well, my first instinct was that he was being robbed and thought NO WAY JOSE am I opening this door!  :)  I barely peeked out the shade to see Satch running down the street carrying our 70 pound dog in his arms and there was blood.  Of course my mind then went to Al was hit by a car.  By the time they made it home Satch was a wreck.  My OCD then kicked in.  I grabbed a towel, as to not dirty the car, grabbed the keys and raced off to the vet.  Long story short they lost the tennis ball.  On the last throw of the morning Satch threw a stick that lodged in Alex's mouth.  We all know how much the mouth bleeds.  We still laugh at him yelling down the street and me thinking about whether or not to open the door.  

Alex and Satch- Besties!

  • Kenton took such good care of Alex.  They were best friends.  I witnessed the love that he had for him until the very end.  I always knew that Kenton would be a good husband and father, but I have now also witnessed him as a care giver.  When I get old and grey I will be in the most capable and loving hands.  His love for Al was so unconditional...  

  • Al's appointment was for 5:30 yesterday afternoon.  When Kenton got home yesterday he told me that he got to the vet at 5:25 and drove around the block until 5:30.  He said that he just couldn't bring him in a minute early.  I so love this man and his heart...

  • As I said he loved and cared for him until the very end.  Kenton said that after Alex took his last breath he had an accident on the table and he cleaned it up.  He said that he just couldn't let him lay in a mess.  My husband... such a compassionate, caring, and gentle soul.

Today we are sad, but smile as we think of all of the great memories that we have shared with Alex.  I just know that he is pain free and running wild at his puppy palace in the sky.  As they say "All dogs go to heaven."  Until we meet again my friend...




No comments:

Post a Comment