Friday, August 10, 2012

My Pal Al...




October 19, 1997- August 10, 2012

Today we said good-bye to Al-Dog.  It was a very sad day.  My eyes have been leaking since I placed the call to the vet on Monday.  One of those things that you know in your heart that you are doing the right thing but it still hurts so very badly.

Al has been my faithful friend and companion for almost 15 years.  He has been through several seasons of my life and has taught me a lesson on the purest unconditional love.  He was my first son.  Over the years with the addition of our 3 children he took a back seat.  He was okay with that and was happy with a throw of the tennis ball and a pat on the head.


He lived a rich life and we are blessed with some great memories!  He brought us so much joy.  Some of his favorite things to do was play catch with a tennis ball, run free at the cabin, and snuggle with Kenton while watching TV and eating popcorn.

We spent our final afternoon at home with Uncle Al.  Kenton gave him a snack of one of his faves, Vienna Sausage and we went outside for family pictures.  We then each said our final good-byes to him.  It was so very hard.  When Kenton returned from the vet I could hear the boys talking to their Daddy.  Griff asked where Alex was?  Kenton told him that he went on a trip.  Roman then ran up to me and said, "Mommy.... Alex gone."  Words of such truth...

I am just happy that he is no longer suffering and in pain.  Alex- Until we meet again run free at your puppy palace in the sky.  You were so loved...

One of my favorite pictures of my boys.
Mardi Gras 2012

14 year old beauty.
Sharing his bed with Roman.
Such good memories at our uptown house.
Even at his ripe old age he was still working.
Here he is guarding Cohen a few weeks ago.
Hanging with his bros.
Al dog the artist.
Cuddle time this afternoon with his Daddy.
They had such a sweet bond.
Oh how I love these boys.


8/10/12
Our family just won't be the same without our pal Al.
Gone but not forgotten...

2 comments:

  1. I'm crying as I read this post. What a wonderful sentiment and I'm so glad you guys got pictures as a family.

    It's such a hard thing to experience and our sweet pups bring such joy to our lives. When I looked back over Oscar's life I realized he was there for all of the big things in mine. Boyfriends, break-ups, jobs, moving, getting married, having a baby, everything that I experienced - he was there by my side.

    I am so sorry for your loss. It may have been time, but that does not make it any easier.

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I know. He has been by my side through so much. He knows me better than most! Makes me think of the Bush's baked beans dog. He knows the family secrets. ;)

      Delete