Thursday, February 3, 2011

Marriage Tree

One night it was late and I found myself chasing some sort of rabbit trail online.  Hours later I happened across a guy that I once knew.  His name is Hank Holland and we grew up in the same small town.  I was looking at some of his painting and at that very moment I knew that I just had to have many one.

A few days later I went to his studio and spent the afternoon with him.  He has such a warm nature and positive attitude and outlook on life.  His eyes are kind and he is very interesting to to talk to.  We chatted a bit and he told me his story as he proudly showed his art work on display.  He told me that three years ago for the first time in his life he picked up a paintbrush and has been painting ever since.  He has never taken a formal art class.  He is a self-taught artist... just like his mother was.  

As we walked around he told me the story behind several of his paintings.  I was immediately drawn to his tree houses.  You see Hank was born with Cerebral Palsy.  As we all know that kids can be cruel and life is not fair.  As a child he did not have many friends.  His father built him a tree house in the back yard and that is where he spent most of his time.  Up high above it all... in his tree house.

Hank told me that one night he woke up about 2:30 in the morning with the idea to paint tree houses.  After learning the story of the tree house I knew that I wanted one of my own.  He then took it a step further.  He told me about his Marriage Trees.  I then realized that the Marriage Tree would be the PERFECT 5 year wedding anniversary gift for my loving husband.  Our very own commissioned Marriage Tree.    

Andrea, Hank Holland, and the Marriage Tree


And here it is.... I adore our new painting.  Hank was kind enough to drop it off to our house today.  I am so proud to display this piece of art.  It is so very special to me.  This is the way that he described it.  Here is your Marriage Tree with a strong and sold base that is rooted deep.  In the center you have a whole lot of love.  In every marriage you also have to have faith, trust, prayer, forgiveness, and patience.  He included Kenton pushing me on the swing with our two boys playing in the tree.  He also has both of our names carved into the tree along with our wedding date.  Wow....  

In the tree we also have a tree house.  He told me that on all of his tree house paintings he also includes an outhouse.  He said that is where you go to unload all of your "crap."  Hank said that every morning before starting his day he walks up to one of his treehouse paintings and touches the outhouse.  He releases all of the "crap" in order to focus on the good.  I plan to do the same... 


I was so excited about my 5 year anniversary gift to Satch that I COULD not wait until our actual anniversary in April.  As a matter of fact I could barely wait for him to get home TODAY to show him.  I gave it to him as an early Valentine/ 5 year anniversary gift.  The added bonus is it is displayed in our house so I can enjoy it everyday...

Happy EARLY anniversary to my wonderful husband.

The proud new owners of a Hank Holland original.


I plan to host a showing at my house with Hank and some of his work.  If anyone would like to come over and see his work and meet a man with an incredible story.  Just let me know!

Hank Holland- Baby Jane Studios

2 comments: