Thursday, February 17, 2011

Declined!

Yesterday somewhere between returning a shirt and buying 6 sheets of scrapbook paper I was unknowingly scammed.  Hear me when I say, totally clueless.  It wasn't until about 7:00 last night when I received a phone call from our bank fraud protection agency that I was informed of the situation.

Funny thing, I was skeptical of the fraud protection call.  She identified herself and told me of a potential fraudulent situation with my bank card.  She went through a few legitimate charges.  She then mentioned a charge to TJ Maxx. When she said a suspicious charge was declined for $300 I knew something was up.  Houston we have a problem~ my typical charges are more in the $5-$10 range!  Not to mention the card was in my possession the entire time.

I was straining my brain to recall the day.  It went like this.  I ran into Michael's and bought 6 sheets of paper for party invitations.  I then returned a shirt to Marshalls and purchased an ipod accessory.  My phone rang and I took the call.  I typically don't talk and shop, but it was an important call regarding G and a speech evaluation.  I talked and walked through TJ Maxx.  I didn't purchase anything in the store.

Today I had to call the bank and go through the rig-a-marole of "stolen" card paperwork.  I am still unsure of exactly what happened.  I have never walked up to a register with items and when asked for payment said, "charge it to 111-222-3333."  I know that times are changing, but last time I checked you still have to present a card to complete a transaction.  My best guess is someone in one of the first two stores had a friend in the third.  Employee in one store called friend/employee in second store and manually entered a charge.  Sounds like an inside job between employees, but your guess is as good as mine?

When this sort of thing happens you go through a range of emotions.  I feel violated, upset, confused, but most of all sad.  I am sad that someone with such a "creative" mind is letting it go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment