Thursday, July 5, 2012

"It's A....... BOY!"

I have started to write this several times over the past 3 weeks.
I have deleted each entry and started over.

This is one of those moments that I want to remember every second of.

I want my memories and writing to do this "life moment" justice.

One day I want Cohen to be able to read this and feel the anticipation, joy and love that were present when he entered this world and became a part of our family.  

So here it goes...

June 13, 2012 was a day for me that was full of blessings, surprises and unexpected twists and turns.  The day started out with my dream/vision of having a baby boy.  Next was my 39 week Dr appointment that turned into "see you back in a few hours. You are having a baby.... TODAY."  Next thing I know Kenton and I are heading back to the hospital to welcome our 3rd child into the world.   

As we were driving to the hospital I was rather quiet and filled with anxiety.  This was the first time that I knew that I was about to have a c-section.  The "what ifs" were playing in my mind.  I was once again very fearful of the epidural.  What if as a result I would end up paralyzed.  I tried to calm my racing mind and was comforted by my husband.  This man is always so good to me.  

The hospital experience was very different than our previous 2 times.  Like I said this was the first time I was going in for a "planned" c-section.  Once we arrived it was all business.  Paperwork, surgery prep, iv, blood work, monitors, epidural, and wheeled off to surgery.

All of this was just a whirlwind of events that are a bit of a blur to me.  I mean was this really happening NOW?   From the planning and preparation all the way back to our first child we never went in with a birth plan.  Our "plan" was to go with it.  That way we would not be disappointed if things did not go our way.   I was a bit let down that things were not happening the way that I had dreamed, but no time for tears.  We were moments away from meeting our newest addition.  

I snapped this picture as I waddled into the hospital.
Here I am waiting for showtime!
Just before I was wheeled into surgery MiMi and Pop took
the boys back to give me a quick kiss.
Roman was very uncertain and a bit afraid.
Here is Griffin giving the baby a quick kiss and a "see you soon."

"Are you SURE about this?"
"I don't know are you?"

Once I made it into the operating room the mood was light.  I was being tended to by a wonderful staff.  The experience was much better than my memories of it the first time around.  As much as I feared the epidural it took very well.  Everything went by pretty quickly.  There was a little joking and last minute wagers on boy or girl.  I remember the Dr saying, "We are very close.  Are you ready?  Here the baby comes."  After a moment of silence I heard, "it's a.... BOY!"
6/13/12  5:20 P.M.

Here he is as they are pulling him out.
                                        
The first shot moments before the big reveal.
I remember Kenton looking at me and I just laughed.  A lot.  Another boy?!?  This is the reaction that I prayed for.  I so badly wanted to feel joy when/if I was told it was another boy.  Guess what?  I did.  I felt joy, peace, and contentment.
Seconds after the announcement I heard him and that precious newborn cry.  The beautiful sound that every mother waits to hear.

They brought "New Baby" over for a quick clean up.
Here he is.

Here is my first glimpse of our precious baby boy.  A healthy baby boy.  My first glimpse of my precious child.  The child that I carried for 39 weeks.  The child that we prayed for.  The baby that we longed for.  To finally see the baby that I already knew so well...

Proud Daddy showing off his son.

The nurses were getting "New Baby" all checked out before Kenton walked out with him into the hall to announce to the family our newest addition.  A beautiful and healthy baby Boy!  


No comments:

Post a Comment