Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bright lights big city....

Outdoor ice skating rink


The Times Square ball drop

Enjoying Central Park

Andrew~ lives in NY, but his heart is still in NOLA

Broadway

The Hotel~ added bonus for numerically challenged room number was Kenton's birthday;)


The trip wouldn't be complete without a cameo from the Naked Cowboy!


Romancing at Rockafeller Center.


Gotcha! Enjoying a cupcake from a cool market.

Quick trip on the subway

Dinner in Little Italy~ yummy!


Last weekend Kenton and Andrea (not to be confused with Daddy and Mommy) hit New York City for a nice adult weekend. Thanks to MiMi Kat and Big Poppa for watching Griffin. I must admit I love to travel with my husband. He take on protector mode when we are away. I just sit back and enjoy and he navigates our way through foreign land. This is just another fine quality of this wonderful man. We flew into NYC on Friday evening. We stayed at a swanky little boutique hotel~ The Dylan. The location was perfect. We were about 1 block from Grand Central Station and about 2 blocks from Times Square. This was our first time enjoying New York during the holidays. We were very excited to take in all of the sights and sounds that give the city its pulse. About five minutes into exploring the streets we soon realized that we were no longer in sleepy New Orleans! We were crossing the street and another pedestrian yelled at a car trying to turn, "no left turn STOOPID!" Soon after we happened upon this great outdoor ice skating rink. We sat back and enjoyed a cup of hot chocolate and some Christmas tunes while watching the skaters on the ice. A few minutes later a street fight breaks out with no less than 20 kids. The situation was not contained in a timely fashion so we quickly left the scene. We just moved along and enjoyed the bright lights of Times Square. It was still bursting with activity at 1:00am.

Saturday morning we woke up and hit the street for a much anticipated NY bagel. We took the subway out to FAO Schwarz. The entire time dreaming of how much Griffin would love all of the stimulation in the store. We then sat back and relaxed in Central Park. How often in our busy lives do we take the time just to sit and enjoy the people and beauty all around? I realized that we were in a totally different world when we passed up two old ladies taking in their morning walk in evening gowns. This certainly is a sight that we do not see back home! We then met up with an old friend, Andrew. A trip to NY just wouldn't be complete without enjoying PIZZA! We enjoyed our time catching up with Andrew~ our resident tour guide. After lunch we went to Times Square to scout out Broadway show tickets. We decided on Oleanna starring Bill Pullman and Julia Stiles. The play was a bit on the controversial side and was the ultimate he said she said drama.

Sunday we decided to take the train down towards SoHo/ NYU area. We just walked the streets and did quite a bit of window shopping. The economy did not seem to slow down people and their shopping. Wow! We then strolled through Little Italy and China Town. Sunday evening we enjoyed a great meal at a restaurant in Little Italy. What a perfect way to end a great weekend! *I have to throw this in. Remember earlier in the post when I mentioned Kenton's keen sense of navigation? When we returned to Little Italy for dinner Sunday night Kenton was a little disoriented when we got off the subway. Have no fear I saved the day. The entire time there I had no idea which direction I was heading, but I do know my shopping. I recalled earlier in the day our location based on Old Navy and Steve Madden. I got us back on track and gave the lead back to Satch!*

It is always so nice to get away, but always nicer to come back home. We enjoyed spending couple time together and it was very nice NOT to be on a schedule. The big city made me appreciate my simple little life back home so much more. I like the pace that we live. I can't imagine living such a fast paced lifestyle. I also can't imagine not having a yard for my child to play in and having to ride his bike on the street. I couldn't help but notice as I walked the streets I never looked into the faces of the people that I passed by. I don't know if I took the cue from the locals, but it was really sad that in a city of so many people no one had a face to me. Different stroke for different folks I guess? Give me the bright lights and big city for a quick get-away every year, but I love my life in the suburbs...

No comments:

Post a Comment