Monday, December 5, 2011

The bond

It seems like this was just yesterday.
In the blink of an eye and a nano second later here we are now.
Plus one more...

This pregnancy has not been easy.  It started off a little shaky.  I went in for my first appointment at about 5 weeks.  Everything was standard procedure.  A battery of blood work and an initial ultra sound. This is when I caught my first glimpse of our little peanut.  The next day I received a phone call that my progesterone level was low.  I needed to come back in the following day to have my labs redrawn.

The levels came back low.  Not low enough to put me on oral progesterone, but low enough to be closely monitored.  I went in weekly to have blood work done.  At about 10 weeks my levels were finally at a better place.  Praise Jesus.

Last week my doctor was out so they scheduled me with another doctor in the office.  He was unable to find the heart beat with the Doppler monitor.  He said everything was great and not to worry because at 11 weeks it was still early to pick up the heart beat with the Doppler.  We will see you in a month.  Walking out of the office without hearing the heartbeat was brutal.  I need to hear it for comfort and for reassurance that our peanut is growing big and strong.

I sat on it for a few days, but couldn't let it go. I felt that everything was good, but needed to hear my baby.   I sent my doctor a text telling him about what happened.  He said come back and see me on Monday.

I went in today.  Once again he could not pick up the heart beat with the Doppler.  He sent me in for another ultrasound.  (I believe this is now the 3rd- Peanut is already being captured by the paparazzi)

As soon as I walk into the ultra sound room I always throw out my disclaimer, "remember we DO NOT want to know the sex."

Next thing I know I saw Peanut on the monitor.  This was the most beautiful sight.  It was such a relief to know that Peanut is still there.  This picture of my baby made it so real.  Of course I knew that I was carrying around a baby, but this was our first bonding experience.  Wow.... this 11 week and 5 day baby is fully formed.  He was adorable.  One of the reasons why he is so hard to pick up with the Doppler is because he is moving around too much.  Peanut sat still long enough pose with his hand next to his face.  Simply breath taking.

The doctor walked in to make sure everything was good.  He looked at the monitor.  He said this is the nasal bone and research shows that babies with Downs do not have a visible nasal bone.  I was able to breath another sigh of relief.

I am so grateful that my pregnancy is right on track.  I pray that the Peanut continues to grow big and strong.  I am so in love with a.....?

Oh and the heart rate was so fast and strong today.  It was 170 beats per minute.  This is the most precious sound imaginable.  I will never tire of hearing my baby thumping away inside of my belly.

**I used "he" today rather than using he/she or it.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment