Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pee-Pee is working!


So many of my friends with children older than mine all said, "wait to potty train until the child is ready."  I really took this advice to heart.  Even though Griffin was 3 he showed no interest in potty training.  I knew that he could do it because he had tremendous control over his bladder and bowels, but he just wasn't quite "there" yet.  In the back of my mind my goal was to have him potty trained over the summer.

The ball started rolling the week that he took swimming lessons.  Our schedule was a little different and all of a sudden it just seemed like the right time to give it a whirl.  Like everything in life that I do I went all or nothing.  We went straight from diapers to big boy undies.  I was on the fence with pull ups.  I mean really folks... it is a diaper.  I decided to skip the pull ups and deal with the potential mess.  :)

Pee-pee was not really a problem.  We started taking him to the potty every 30 minutes and each day stretched it a little further.  Now poo-poo was a little tougher.  Luckily he is extremely regular and routine with his poopy habits.  He went into the playroom and closed the door.  This mean showtime!  I followed him in and he asked several times for a diaper.  I stood firm with the answer "no" but rather offered him to sit on the potty.  Eventually he realized that it was potty or underwear and I am proud to say that he picked the potty!  I knew that it would take him once on the potty to realize that it was not so bad.

From that point forward he was done an excellent job!  Over the past 2 or so weeks he had 1 pee-pee accident during the day and 1 pee-pee accident at night.  AND... no poo-poo accidents as of yet.  I still periodically take him to pee-pee during the day and ALWAYS a few times before bed.  I also keep a very close eye on his liquid intake.  (it was of no surprise his night time accident)  He now initiates going to the potty on his own.  My favorite is when I hear him in the bathroom saying.  "It's working... pee-pee is working!"

I can not even begin to explain how proud we are of Griff.  He has done such a wonderful job with this potty training thing.  He has been handsomely rewarded  with hugs, kisses, praises, high fives, running around and cheering like lunatics, his own personal poo-poo potty song that he LOVES, stickers, gummy treats, and his beloved Toy Story lunch bag.  At the end of the day it is worth it.  HE is worth it.  I'm sure there are many accidents to come, but he is off to an incredible start!  Way to go Griff!!

No comments:

Post a Comment